I just finished 2 more quilts tops for Quilts of Valour. They give me a top and backing, I supply the batting, thread and then add the free motion quilting. On the Christmas charm square quilt I used Asian Maple and on the floral panel quilt I used Waterworld.
Quilts of Valour put out a call for longarm volunteers to help complete some quilts before Christmas. I took this lovely yellow and green log cabin quilt and used a new pantograph called Maple Grove which features Canadian maple leafs. I hope the recipient loves their new quilt.
I just finished the longarm work on my 3rd top for Quilts of Valour. They give me a quilt top and I provide the batting and the longarm service. This quilt proved to be a bit of a challenge because of all the 3 dimensional bling on numerous blocks. I used an edge to edge design called Waterworld because it reminding me of birds flying around. I hope the recipient loves their new quilt.
I really like the rich colours that Rosalie chose for her quilt top. I used one layer of a stiff fusible batting to give the wall hanging some body and weight so that it would hang flat against the wall. I added a layer of Hobbes 80/20 on top to still give some loft to the quilting. Rosalie chose Swirls Simplified and I think it worked really well with her piecing.
I am pleased to share with you this lovely, gender neutral, baby quilt. It is rather unique in that it is actually a two sided quilt. Rather than custom quilting one side and having it look strange on the other side, I chose to do an all over design that would compliment both sides of the quilt. I used a design called Arrowheads.
Here is a close up look at the beautiful texture that the design created. I used two layers of batting (Hobbes 80/20 and a high loft polyester) to give lots of dimension.
And now the back. There is a lot of white space which really helps to see the quilting.
It is important to always label your quilt but this two sided design made that impossible. Having a label on one side would detract from the quilt itself. I saw somewhere online where a quilter stitched words into the binding instead of adding a label so that is what I did. I used a very subtle tone on tone so that it would almost disappear into the binding. It says “Made with love 2016 Grandma Debbie”.
Here are a few pictures of the quilt in the nursery:
Last year I offered my longarm quilting services to Quilts of Valour. People donate quilt tops and fabric for backing and they ask longarmers to provide the batting and longarm services for free. I received these two quilts in January. One is a very busy batik quilt so I used an edge to edge design called Dazzle.
The second quilt has a lot more background space so I chose to custom quilt it. Ironically the donated quilt top was from Quiltessential’s 2011 Block of the month program and I made the identical blocks (here is a link to my finished quilt).