I volunteered to do the free motion quilting on the Edmonton Modern Quilt Guild’s 2021 Raffle Quilt. They gave me full creative control and let me do whatever I wanted. I decided to replicate, with stitching, the piecing from the bottom left corner in the top right corner. I used Ocean, Bright Blue, Mint, Hawaiian Blue, Baby Blue and Pistachio and Glide thread.
Here is a close up of some of the extensive ruler work and free motion quilting.
Our friend Shirley moved into her new house earlier this year and decided it was time to invest in herself and make a new quilt for her bedroom. She made this beautiful 93″ x 114″ red, green and cream double Irish chain. She gave me the freedom to quilt it anyway I wanted, so this is what I came up with. I used tidewater, cream and ruby thread from Glide.
I was asked by the Edmonton and District Quilt Guild to do the free motion quilting on one of their charity quilts. Instead of using an edge to edge design I decided to do a little custom quilting: feathers in the border and each block quilted uniquely.
I have been so busy with foster puppies and life that I haven’t been very good about updating my website. This quilt inspired me to post again. Susan made this beautiful quilt for her sister Helene. She bought the hand painted butterflies and then just added some simple sashing and borders. She gave me the freedom to quilt it however I wanted to.
I used a simple swirl around the outside of the butterflies and I did a little creative stitching in the painted area to help accentuate the flowers and the butterflies.
I added a simple stylized feather in the bottom and side borders.
Across the top border I had Susan write her dedication in chalk and then I quilted over it so that it would be her handwriting. It is hard to see but it says “Butterfly Garden for Helene – June 2017′.
I had the pleasure of working on this beautiful heart inspired appliqué quilt. Peggy used beautiful batiks and the colours are just gorgeous. She gave me permission to quilt it any way that I wanted as long as it was densely quilted. Because of the dense quilting I had to do a lot of ditch work to keep the shape of the quilt. I tried to emphasize both the on point and heart shapes. Thank you Peggy for giving me the freedom to indulge my imagination/creativity.
I did this freehand heart design in the sashing.
Looking at it from the back…..it is almost like a whole cloth quilt.
Last year I offered my longarm quilting services to Quilts of Valour. People donate quilt tops and fabric for backing and they ask longarmers to provide the batting and longarm services for free. I received these two quilts in January. One is a very busy batik quilt so I used an edge to edge design called Dazzle.
The second quilt has a lot more background space so I chose to custom quilt it. Ironically the donated quilt top was from Quiltessential’s 2011 Block of the month program and I made the identical blocks (here is a link to my finished quilt).
Twenty four years ago my friend Darrell made this beautiful sampler quilt. She sandwiched it, did some hand quilting and but on the binding but she never did any quilting in the 8 inch wide border. Last week she gave it to me and asked if I could put something in the border. It felt that the quilt needed some soft flowing quilting rather than lines and angles. I chose a free hand meandering feather motif. Once I was finished the border I felt that the quilt needed something to balance the dense quilting on the border with the rest of the quilt. Darrell gave me the go ahead to put a design in the black sashing around the blocks. I like the overall look now. It looks more balanced.
Our guild is collecting baby quilts for Our Lady of Grace. The quilts will go to pregnant or parenting teens. I’ve made a boy and girl’s version. I went a little overboard with the quilting, what else is new, but hopefully whoever gets them will like them.
I just love the colours in this quilt….so girly. It was fully custom quilted to enhance the piecing.
I used a stylized feather in the lighter triangles to push them into the background and have the brighter triangles pop forward.
I did dense quilting in the white background to enhance the 3d effect of the trapunto hearts even more.
You can really see the free motion quilting on the back.