This is a very special quilt for a very special boy. I used black Glide thread and the Bauhaus pantograph (because it reminded me of how a small boy drives his toy cars on the floor). I don’t know if he is going to use the quilt on his bed or on the floor to play on, but it looks like he likes it.
I love this pattern (Preppy the Whale by Elizabeth Hartman). It is just perfect for a baby quilt. Alex commissioned me to make this quilt for friends of his who have a baby girl on the way. I used E2E design Feathers with a twist, it reminds me of a whale swimming, and Glide’s Cool Grey thread.
This quilt has 365 blocks and was made as part of Kathryn Kerr’s 365 Challenge Sample Quilt. This is one of those quilts where the blocks are the start not the quilting. I just used a simple e2e design called Deco Vine and some simple custom quilting in the four corner blocks and the centre medallion.
I continue to volunteer to provide batting and donate my time to do the longarm quilting on quilt tops donated to Quilts of Valour. This is the 9th top that I have longarmed for them. I used Glide Khaki thread and e2e design Waterworld.
I had a little fun in the solid black squares on this quilt . I love when I get a charity quilt with some quiet background space. Instead of doing a pantograph I get to use my imagination and do some custom quilting. Its a win/win for me and the charity.
This quilt top was a little too busy for custom quilting so I opted for a pantograph called Maple Grove.
I just finished the longarm work on my 3rd top for Quilts of Valour. They give me a quilt top and I provide the batting and the longarm service. This quilt proved to be a bit of a challenge because of all the 3 dimensional bling on numerous blocks. I used an edge to edge design called Waterworld because it reminding me of birds flying around. I hope the recipient loves their new quilt.
I really like the rich colours that Rosalie chose for her quilt top. I used one layer of a stiff fusible batting to give the wall hanging some body and weight so that it would hang flat against the wall. I added a layer of Hobbes 80/20 on top to still give some loft to the quilting. Rosalie chose Swirls Simplified and I think it worked really well with her piecing.
I am pleased to share with you this lovely, gender neutral, baby quilt. It is rather unique in that it is actually a two sided quilt. Rather than custom quilting one side and having it look strange on the other side, I chose to do an all over design that would compliment both sides of the quilt. I used a design called Arrowheads.
Here is a close up look at the beautiful texture that the design created. I used two layers of batting (Hobbes 80/20 and a high loft polyester) to give lots of dimension.
And now the back. There is a lot of white space which really helps to see the quilting.
It is important to always label your quilt but this two sided design made that impossible. Having a label on one side would detract from the quilt itself. I saw somewhere online where a quilter stitched words into the binding instead of adding a label so that is what I did. I used a very subtle tone on tone so that it would almost disappear into the binding. It says “Made with love 2016 Grandma Debbie”.
Here are a few pictures of the quilt in the nursery: