This quilt has 365 blocks and was made as part of Kathryn Kerr’s 365 Challenge Sample Quilt. This is one of those quilts where the blocks are the start not the quilting. I just used a simple e2e design called Deco Vine and some simple custom quilting in the four corner blocks and the centre medallion.
This is one of my own quilts. It started with these twelve 10.5 inch blocks that I made as part of the 2015 BOM program at QuiltEssential Co Inc. Each year the owner, Ingrid Machtemes, picks 3 different colour schemes and comes up with 12 unique designs for the blocks.
Then the fun happens…..coming up with a creative design to incorporate these 12 blocks into a finished top. Months before we had even finished piecing all the blocks, I already had this design idea floating around in my head. I wanted to have lots of negative space for quilting. I knew I wanted to quilt a detailed centre medallion but other than that, I had no idea how I was going to quilt it until I got it on the longarm and starting playing.
Here is the finished quilt:
My inspiration for the quilting came from some of the designs in the 12 blocks. I wish I had kept track of how long it took me to do the longarm work because it was substantial. I am really happy with the finished product.
Close up of the centre medallion and some of the long arm work:
I like using pieced backings on my quilts. I think it makes for a more attractive back that gives you the option to flip it over so you have two quilts in one.
I continue to volunteer to provide batting and donate my time to do the longarm quilting on quilt tops donated to Quilts of Valour. This is the 9th top that I have longarmed for them. I used Glide Khaki thread and e2e design Waterworld.
I had a little fun in the solid black squares on this quilt . I love when I get a charity quilt with some quiet background space. Instead of doing a pantograph I get to use my imagination and do some custom quilting. Its a win/win for me and the charity.
This quilt top was a little too busy for custom quilting so I opted for a pantograph called Maple Grove.
I just finished 2 more quilts tops for Quilts of Valour. They give me a top and backing, I supply the batting, thread and then add the free motion quilting. On the Christmas charm square quilt I used Asian Maple and on the floral panel quilt I used Waterworld.