This is one of my own quilts. It started with these twelve 10.5 inch blocks that I made as part of the 2015 BOM program at QuiltEssential Co Inc. Each year the owner, Ingrid Machtemes, picks 3 different colour schemes and comes up with 12 unique designs for the blocks.
Then the fun happens…..coming up with a creative design to incorporate these 12 blocks into a finished top. Months before we had even finished piecing all the blocks, I already had this design idea floating around in my head. I wanted to have lots of negative space for quilting. I knew I wanted to quilt a detailed centre medallion but other than that, I had no idea how I was going to quilt it until I got it on the longarm and starting playing.
Here is the finished quilt:
My inspiration for the quilting came from some of the designs in the 12 blocks. I wish I had kept track of how long it took me to do the longarm work because it was substantial. I am really happy with the finished product.
Close up of the centre medallion and some of the long arm work:
I like using pieced backings on my quilts. I think it makes for a more attractive back that gives you the option to flip it over so you have two quilts in one.
I had a little fun in the solid black squares on this quilt . I love when I get a charity quilt with some quiet background space. Instead of doing a pantograph I get to use my imagination and do some custom quilting. Its a win/win for me and the charity.
This quilt top was a little too busy for custom quilting so I opted for a pantograph called Maple Grove.
I have been so busy with foster puppies and life that I haven’t been very good about updating my website. This quilt inspired me to post again. Susan made this beautiful quilt for her sister Helene. She bought the hand painted butterflies and then just added some simple sashing and borders. She gave me the freedom to quilt it however I wanted to.
I used a simple swirl around the outside of the butterflies and I did a little creative stitching in the painted area to help accentuate the flowers and the butterflies.
I added a simple stylized feather in the bottom and side borders.
Across the top border I had Susan write her dedication in chalk and then I quilted over it so that it would be her handwriting. It is hard to see but it says “Butterfly Garden for Helene – June 2017′.
I had the pleasure of working on this beautiful heart inspired appliqué quilt. Peggy used beautiful batiks and the colours are just gorgeous. She gave me permission to quilt it any way that I wanted as long as it was densely quilted. Because of the dense quilting I had to do a lot of ditch work to keep the shape of the quilt. I tried to emphasize both the on point and heart shapes. Thank you Peggy for giving me the freedom to indulge my imagination/creativity.
I did this freehand heart design in the sashing.
Looking at it from the back…..it is almost like a whole cloth quilt.
A few weeks ago I received this lovely thank you card from Lezley Zwaal the founder of Quilts of Valour Canada. It was a much appreciated and thoughtful gesture.
As a longarm volunteer for Quilts of Valour not only do I do the longarm work but I also supply the batting. In 2016 I have completed two donated quilt tops and I have another one coming to me to work on this weekend.
This is the second quilt that I have made to donate to Quilts of Valour (here is a link to the first one)
I used a poppy motif in the centre of the squares and in the border. I also did quite a bit of ruler work in the light border and between the squares. The front is so busy that it is hard to see the quilting. I like the design that it makes on the back.
I altered my label to add the Quilts of Valour logo.
Last year I offered my longarm quilting services to Quilts of Valour. People donate quilt tops and fabric for backing and they ask longarmers to provide the batting and longarm services for free. I received these two quilts in January. One is a very busy batik quilt so I used an edge to edge design called Dazzle.
The second quilt has a lot more background space so I chose to custom quilt it. Ironically the donated quilt top was from Quiltessential’s 2011 Block of the month program and I made the identical blocks (here is a link to my finished quilt).