Shirley made this colourful batik quilt for her sister. Her sister loves bright colours and picked all the fabrics herself. Shirley gave me free rein to quilt it as I please. I did a lot of dense quilting around the appliqué and quilted each border differently.
On a whim, and to push myself out of my comfort zone, I entered one of my quilts into the 2019 Edmonton Festival of Quilts show. I went today to volunteer and was so surprised to see that there was a 2nd place ribbon hanging on it. There were so many amazing and inspiring quilts at the show. I’ve got so many ideas for new projects swirling around in my head.
Our friend Shirley moved into her new house earlier this year and decided it was time to invest in herself and make a new quilt for her bedroom. She made this beautiful 93″ x 114″ red, green and cream double Irish chain. She gave me the freedom to quilt it anyway I wanted, so this is what I came up with. I used tidewater, cream and ruby thread from Glide.
This is a quilt that I made and then donated to The Little Nose that Knows to use as a give-away at their April 27-28, Sporting Detection Dog Association (SDDA) trial. It is 60×77″ and fully custom quilted so that each “window” is unique. I think the quilting adds a lot of interest and texture. I hope whoever wins it, loves it as much as I do.
For the first time, Klondike Days (our annual summer exhibition) featured a Makers Exhibition to showcase and celebrate local makers, creators, artists and producers. On a whim, I decided to enter my Bridges of Madison County quilt into the Longarm Quilting category. Unfortunately I was so busy that I completely forgot to go and see the exhibit before it closed. I went this week to pick up my quilt and was shocked to see that it had a first place ribbon on it. The judges comments were “Superb. Small pucker on backing but otherwise excellent”.
This quilt was made for sweet baby Chloe who was born on June 10th. It was fully custom quilted. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the finished quilt but Chloe’s Grandmother was kind enough to send me one.
This is one of my own quilts. It started with these twelve 10.5 inch blocks that I made as part of the 2015 BOM program at QuiltEssential Co Inc. Each year the owner, Ingrid Machtemes, picks 3 different colour schemes and comes up with 12 unique designs for the blocks.
Then the fun happens…..coming up with a creative design to incorporate these 12 blocks into a finished top. Months before we had even finished piecing all the blocks, I already had this design idea floating around in my head. I wanted to have lots of negative space for quilting. I knew I wanted to quilt a detailed centre medallion but other than that, I had no idea how I was going to quilt it until I got it on the longarm and starting playing.
Here is the finished quilt:
My inspiration for the quilting came from some of the designs in the 12 blocks. I wish I had kept track of how long it took me to do the longarm work because it was substantial. I am really happy with the finished product.
Close up of the centre medallion and some of the long arm work:
I like using pieced backings on my quilts. I think it makes for a more attractive back that gives you the option to flip it over so you have two quilts in one.
I volunteered to do the longarm quilting on this charity quilt made by members of the Edmonton Modern Quilt Guild.
Here is a close-up of each of the nine blocks.
A few weeks ago I received this lovely thank you card from Lezley Zwaal the founder of Quilts of Valour Canada. It was a much appreciated and thoughtful gesture.
As a longarm volunteer for Quilts of Valour not only do I do the longarm work but I also supply the batting. In 2016 I have completed two donated quilt tops and I have another one coming to me to work on this weekend.
I have also designed, pieced and quilted a couple of quilts that I have donated
Rosalie made this beautiful quilt for her granddaughter. It is extra special because she used fabrics from Everly’s great-grandmother for the owl appliqué.
Rosalie gave me the quilt top and said I could do whatever I wanted with it. I started by adding trapunto to the owl, branch and leaves. Then I got out my favourite rulers and went crazy.
Instead of quilting the sashing and the border separately, I decided link them together with my quilting.
The plain backing really allows the free motion quilting to show.
Thank you Rosalie for allowing me to quilt this family heirloom.