This is the second quilt that I have made to donate to Quilts of Valour (here is a link to the first one)
I used a poppy motif in the centre of the squares and in the border. I also did quite a bit of ruler work in the light border and between the squares. The front is so busy that it is hard to see the quilting. I like the design that it makes on the back.
I altered my label to add the Quilts of Valour logo.
Last year I offered my longarm quilting services to Quilts of Valour. People donate quilt tops and fabric for backing and they ask longarmers to provide the batting and longarm services for free. I received these two quilts in January. One is a very busy batik quilt so I used an edge to edge design called Dazzle.
The second quilt has a lot more background space so I chose to custom quilt it. Ironically the donated quilt top was from Quiltessential’s 2011 Block of the month program and I made the identical blocks (here is a link to my finished quilt).
I volunteered to do the free motion quilting for members of my quilt guild who made a quilt top for Our Lady of Grace. I recently completed these two quilts.
Ioleen pieced this quilt from blocks that were donated by guild members. She gave me the freedom to quilt it however I wanted to. As usual, once I get going on the longarm I can’t stop myself. Hopefully she will like it.
She also gave me this one to quilt. It was a very busy quilt with no open background so there was no point doing any extensive FMQ on it. I chose Swirl ‘n Twirl to accent the fabric.
Our guild is collecting baby quilts for Our Lady of Grace. The quilts will go to pregnant or parenting teens. I’ve made a boy and girl’s version. I went a little overboard with the quilting, what else is new, but hopefully whoever gets them will like them.
I just love the colours in this quilt….so girly. It was fully custom quilted to enhance the piecing.
I used a stylized feather in the lighter triangles to push them into the background and have the brighter triangles pop forward.
I did dense quilting in the white background to enhance the 3d effect of the trapunto hearts even more.
You can really see the free motion quilting on the back.
Once again this quilting job morphed from a simple edge to edge design to fully custom quilted. I’m so glad that it did. While it would have looked just fine with a simple E2E design, I think the custom quilting really made it sing.
Susan wasn’t particularly in love with the pieced blocks so she didn’t want the quilting to emphasize them. She gave me full control to do whatever I wanted so I went a little crazy. I went through a ton of thread but I think the end result was worth it. I just love how quilting adds such texture and depth to a quilt top.
This is one of those quilts where the FMQ looks great on the front and the back.